In the summer term of 2017, and in the wake of the Grenfell disaster, a survey was sent out to all schools in Suffolk to determine their management of fire risk precautions at their premises. The survey ran through July, and then again in October to pick up more responses.
The response rate for this was statistically good and we were able to get a good overall picture of precautionary measures in Suffolk schools. Amongst other actions, it was proposed to enhance schools’ self-management of fire risk precautions via a number of documents. You are urged to ensure that these are read by your Premises Manager / Premises Responsible Person. These will also need to be shared with the person who carries out the local checks. The documents which you can find below are:
· Fire Risk Assessment review guidance
· Fire Risk Assessment Educational Premises (HM Government guidance)
· HSE guide to Maintaining Portable Electrical Equipment (HSG107)
· Schools’ PEEP (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan) template
· Schools’ PEEP guidance
· Schools’ guide for frequencies of in-house checks
· Schools’ guide for frequencies of professional checks
· Schools’ guide for additional checks for fire precautions
· Schools’ guide to visual checks on electrical equipment
· Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service Log Book
· Socket overload calculator weblink
· Socket cover alert
If you are a maintained (non-VA) school, and have any queries, please direct these to Nina Bickerton, Suffolk (Maintained) Schools’ Health and Safety Advisor, at email@example.com or your Property Advisor.
Academies, VAs, Foundation schools, Free schools or Independent schools should contact their employer or Health and Safety ‘competent person’ for further advice. These schools may also buy in to a Property Management Service who may be able to assist.